Wednesday, August 29, 2018

New Engine and Carb

While the Tryke was in it's half built state over the last couple of years, I decided to rebuild the Carb.  It had the old updraft and was very prone to float problems and flooding. In fact, it wasn't uncommon to walk out to a puddle of gas and an empty gas tank. Even worse, a crankcase full of gasoline. This kept me from a couple rides and I decided an upgrade to the power-plant was needed. 
I happened upon a Honda GX390 that needed a rebuild and this became my new engine. Lighter and more powerful than the old 10 hp L-head, the GX390 is rated at 13hp. The only problem with the Honda was the carburetor. This was an old pump motor and the governor controlled  carb was hard to control and actually a little dangerous. The surge to slow action of the governor at idol would engage the clutch and make it impossible to climb off without fear of getting run over. The narrowed ports on the carb also sapped the engine of power. I did not like it...

The solution came as I was looking through my collection of carbs and found and old Mikuni  30 mm carb from a Yamaha Timberwolf. Upon further inspection, this was the same size as the intake port on the head of the Honda.  I did some creative engineering and was able to put together an intake. I modified the throttle cable and gas line.  I let the bowel fill and gave it a crank.  Short story... it is AWESOME!!!!  Smooth idle and way more controlled power!



No comments:

Post a Comment